When it comes to finding a decorating style, there are three myths that come up over and over again. I’ve worked with hundreds of clients and students and all of them believed one or more of these myths which kept them from discovering their true style and being comfortable in their own home.
Read carefully, because I bet one or more of these three LIES is holding you back in your home and keeping you from your true decorating style.
Myth #1: You have to pick ONE decorating style.
This is absolutely false. Sadly, this is where so many people go wrong. If you constrict yourself to just one style, it’s take it or leave it. So you go all in. Then you realize you don’t love your home. It might be the most perfect example of French Country style ever, but it turns out you only like parts of French Country style. You don’t want everything French Country.
The truth: You are a mix of decorating styles.
I believe your true decorating style is a mix of many decorating styles Your signature style is a customizable mix of style elements that you get to choose. Don’t worry, it’s easier than it sounds.
The trick is to take a step back from the pre-defined decorating styles and instead focus in on the specific elements you love within each style. Once you’ve identified your favorite style elements, you can mix them together to create a signature style that’s all you.
Right now you’re either:
Breathing a sigh of relief, because I just gave you permission to love all the styles you’ve been pinning.
– OR -
You’re panicking a little bit, because you haven’t gotten one style nailed down…how are you ever going to get a mix of styles to work?!
Either way, I’ve got you covered in my new free video course Style Shortcut. Whether you have no idea what styles you even like to begin with or if you like too many styles and don’t know how to mix them together, the Style Shortcut video series is the perfect place to start learning about your true style.
Myth #2: You have to be a designer to have a signature style.
Not true. Having style isn’t a designer thing—that’s a perception I’d like to change. Why should designers have all the fun? The truth is anyone can have a signature style.
Contrary to popular belief, many of the “big designers” with incredible style don’t even have degrees in Interior Design. Three of my favorite designers don’t:
- Jonathan Adler who started as a potter.
- HGTV host Sabrina Soto whose background is in real estate.
- I Break for Yard Sales Lara Spencer whose primary profession is broadcast journalism.
That’s how I know you can decorate your own home and that you too can have a signature style. Because you don’t need a specialized degree.
So how are they so good at decorating without a design degree?
Well, because they know without a doubt what they love. Not only does it make them amazing at what they do, it also gives them each an unmistakable decorating style.
Here’s the four things a confident decorator knows:
- What to call their style – A quick descriptive label that can be used to communicate the “look you’re going for” to anyone, like Jonathan Adler’s “Happy Chic” style.
- How to define their style – They can explain their style and clarify exactly what it includes and what it excludes (both equally important).
- Where to use their style – They know exactly how to apply different style elements to the layers of a room and across an entire home for a cohesive look.
- And most importantly, they know themselves—inside and out—knowing yourself is the only way to develop your true style.
If you care about how your home looks and feels, then you need a signature style of your own. In the free Style Shortcut video series I’ll teach you what a decorating style is (and isn’t) and how you can get started on the path to your signature style.
Myth #3: “I’m not stylish.”
Have you resigned to thinking, “I’m not stylish.” Or “That’s nice for them, but it’s not for me.”
Do you ever justify the lack of style in your home with one of these reasons…
- I can’t afford designer stuff.
- I need to wait until my kids are older.
- I don’t have enough time for decorating.
I’ve been there. But now I’ve also seen how amazing life can be when you live in a home you love.
Style isn’t defined by your budget, the season of life you’re in, or how much time you have to play with decor.
You’re already more stylish than you know and you deserve a signature style. Here’s why:
When you have clear style direction…
- You actually save money. You stick to only buying things you love and will enjoy for many years to come. You also spend less money replacing things you’ve grown tired of.
- You can be stylish in any season of life and you can get the whole family in on it. A decorating style won’t just unify your home, it’ll unify your family around a common vision for your home.
- It takes less time to decorate. When you start with a defined style, you can avoid costly decorating mistakes and create a home you love faster.
Let’s Uncover Your Signature Style
If you’re ready to find your true style, get started today with the free Style Shortcut video series.