I know everyone reading this isn’t an entrepreneur, but more and more I’m surprised by the number of people that are. It seems like every other day I’m talking to someone who says, “I’m thinking of starting something…” (Infamous last words before starting a biz.) And as an entrepreneur myself, I’ve begun to surround myself with entrepreneurial peers and mentors.
Even if you’re not an entrepreneur, keep reading because I bet you know an entrepreneur that would love to receive this gift from you…(and it’s already done-for-you)…
Regardless of what stage of business you’re in, even if you’re just thinking of starting a business, we entrepreneurs all have one thing in common: we’re determined to figure it out. And I believe we will. But along the way we’re going to need a lot of pep talks, encouragement, and mindset shifts as we learn to share our gifts and help the people we’re meant to serve.
My favorite on-demand resource for business and life advice is podcasts. But with their rising popularity and the many established podcasts with episode numbers in the three and four digits, it’s hard to figure out where to start listenting. I’ve been binge-listening and seeking out the best of the best episodes for the last two years.
Today I have a gift for you, my entrepreneurial and creative friends,…
I was inspired to create this for all the wonderful entrepreneurial friends I have in my personal life. I have several business besties that I wanted to do something special for, so I made them a mix tape. Remember those?
This idea was inspired by the mix tape gift idea in my friend Lauren’s book Thinking Outside the Gift Box. Because I’m not a big music buff, I decided to take her idea further outside the box and make a “Best of Podcasts Mix Tape” for creative entrepreneurs.
Other than my time to pull together this list and create the printable CD case inserts, this gift was totally free. But it’s bubbling over with thoughtfulness.
To choose the episodes that made the list, I went back through all my favorite podcasts and all the episodes I’ve saved. I chose eleven that I’ve personally listened to more than once. They’re so good that I’ve listened to some of them three times.
This list is full of epic episodes every entrepreneur should hear. It’s also a great introduction to a variety of podcast shows you might want to start listening to on a regular basis.
How to Use This Mix Tape Playlist
The episodes in this list are in no particular order. Pick one that sounds interesting to you and dive in.
I linked each episode to the podcast website where you can download or stream the episode and get the show notes. I also included the podcast name, episode number, and exact episode name on this list so you can easily search for them on iTunes as well.
If you need a last-minute, thoughtful gift for the entrepreneurs in your life, I’ve got you covered…
To give this playlist as a gift, download the printable, ready-to-give playlist below. It includes the mix tape cover art, quote art, and bonus podcast listening tips. This is a done-for-you gift you can share with any entrepreneur in your life. Read on for my easy assembly instructions.
The Ultimate Podcast Playlist for Creative Entrepreneurs
- Interview with Austin Kleon – Author of Steal Like and Artist (Smart People Podcast – Episode 56)
- Elizabeth Gilbert: The Creative Life (Good Life Project with Jonathan Fields)
- Using the Fringe Hours (Elise Gets Crafty – Episode 56)
- Personal Branding (Being Boss – Episode 10)
- Make Your Work More Compelling with Tara Gentile (The Unmistakable Creative)
- The Disciplined Pursuit of Less with Greg McKeown (This Is Your Life – Season 3, Episode 12)
- Turn Your Day Around and How to Say No with Alexandra Franzen (The Lively Show – Episode 70)
- The Dip (Seth Godin’s Startup School – Episode 12)
- Creating an Honest Business from the Ground Up with Dale Partridge (Online Marketing Made Easy – Episode 86)
- The Happy Hour Effect with Kristen Brown (The Introvert Entrepreneur – Episode 74)
- The Art of Rejection with Jia Jiang (Smart Passive Income – Episode 157)
Bonus: Podcast Listening Tips
To sweeten the gift and fill up the CD case, I added some bonus podcast listening tips to the printable. One page shares my three favorite listening tips to listen to more podcasts in less time, get smooth playback anywhere, and how to quickly mute an episode if you get interrupted without touching your phone. These three tips make my morning dog walk my perfect podcast listening time.
But there are other great times to listen to podcasts too. I included a list of nine perfect times to pull out your earbuds. Basically any time your hands are busy and your mind is free, is the perfect time to play a podcast. Get the printable playlist and the podcast listening tips:
How to Package the Podcast Playlist as a Gift
So this is the easiest gift ever to put together. It’s even easier than a mix tape, because you don’t have to download and burn the songs to a CD. Since podcast episodes are easily downloaded and played from iTunes and other podcast players, all you need is a nice way to give them the list of recommended episodes.
I’ve created a ready-to-go printable for you. All you need is an empty CD case, tape, scissors, and a printer. Then just follow these steps:
- Print out the PDF file. The graphics are already the exact size you need for a CD case.
- Cut out each page following the crop marks.
- Place the cover in the front of the CD case so it shows on the front.
- Place the playlist (page 2) on the back of the cover facing to the inside of the CD case. (I’ll show you why in a minute.)
- Put the last page in the back of the CD case so it shows on the back.
- Take the remaining pages and use clear tape on the backsides to tape them into an accordion.
- Use tape to fix the last page of the accordion to the CD holder in the CD case.
- Wrap in your favorite wrapping paper and add a pretty bow.
One More Cool Trick to Show Your Recipient
The reason the playlist is on the inside of the front cover is because this gift doubles as a mini easel to display the playlist. Simply pop the front cover off the CD case, turn the art around so the playlist shows through the front, then turn the cover around, and reattach. You’ll be able to use the back of the case as a stand and the cover will rest back at a nice angle displaying the playlist. It’s the perfect reminder for them to take a little work break every now and then and check out one of the episodes.
Now here’s hoping you get a new iPhone or earbuds for Christmas to go along with this epic playlist. Merry Christmas!
Get the Digital and Printable Playlist
Get the playlist, cover art, quote art, and bonus listening tips in TWO formats—a digital PDF with clickable links and a printable PDF perfectly sized to fit into a CD case.