The idea of re-decorating my mantel for every holiday makes me tired just thinking about it. Admittedly, I skip a few throughout the year. But, lately I have noticed my mantel styling exercises take a fraction of the time they used to. I think I have nailed down a no-fail formula for holiday mantel styling.
Just like my Valentine’s mantel from last year, I worked with things I already had. For this Valentine’s Day look I scoured my place for white and pink accessories. I borrowed my DIY Live Laugh Love Art from the powder room, my DIY finials from the dining room, and a colorful tray from my party supply cabinet. Everything else, I already had on hand, too.
To decorate your mantel effortlessly, shop your house for decor in the appropriate colors for the holiday and follow my 7-step process below.
7-Step Mantel Decorating Formula
To get a great looking mantel for any holiday, focus on these 7 elements:
First, the overall arrangement:
1. Large Anchor Piece – Use an art piece or large mirror to anchor the center of the arrangement. Make sure it is taller or hung higher than the other elements.
2. Visual Triangles – Notice the large anchor in the middle with smaller, shorter decor on the sides creates a visual triangle.
3. Odd Number Groupings – Arrange the decor on the sides in odd numbers (on this large mantel 5 items were used on the left and 3 larger items on the right). The smaller groupings form their own visual triangles.
Second, make it pretty and personal:
4. Layering – To add more dimension on a shallow mantel, layer flat pieces. I love using decorative trays leaning vertically against the wall. Then, layer art and decor in front of the tray.
5. Whimsical Touch – Add a little quirk, like this DIY gold leaf art print displayed on a vintage clipboard.
6. Personal Touch – Add a personalized memento, like the DIY initialed cut out heart plaque shown here.
7. Give it Life – Add something “living”, like flowers, a plant, or candles. In this arrangement there are candles in the center vase and faux crêpe paper flowers in the white urchin vase. These organic elements bring the mantel to life.
P.S. I am over on Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke today sharing how to make this personalized heart cut-out plaque.
Sharing this post on Tip Junkie Tip Me Tuesday
Free Video Class: Home Styling 101
Learn how to arrange your home decor like a pro. I'm sharing my best styling tips in this free video series with cheat sheets.