I am peeing-my-pants-excited to share this dresser makeover with you. It has been a long time in the works. Sadly, finishing it kept getting de-prioritized in favor of other projects for my studio. Now it is finally done and it is awesome!
This dresser was sort of bonus. We bought a retro dresser to use as a media stand in the family room, and bonus the seller told us it came with the highboy. Crafty spaces always need more storage, so I knew I could put this bonus dresser to good use. First, it needed a little makeover.
It is the first piece of furniture you see when you walk into my studio. This end of my studio is narrow, because of the closet on one side. The dresser fills this space perfectly and gives me extra storage!
The dresser is what I see when I am sitting at my desk…you know, when I am staring off in deep thought. It along with the Ikea kitchen cart have turned the once empty corner into a sight for sore eyes. I am happy to look at this pretty little corner all day.
What attracted me to these dressers first was the frame detail on the drawer fronts. I wanted to bring that detail out. I painted the case of the dresser white with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Then, I used ASCP in Provence, just to paint the frame around each drawer front. I loved the ASCP for this project because it required no sanding or stripping, allowing me to leave the original drawer front finish in tact. I also left the original finish on the dresser base. I gave the newly painted areas a coat of polycrylic to seal the paint.
The last stop on the makeover was the hardware. It was a cool shape and the larger handles were a unique size. It appeared to be tarnished brass.
This post contains affiliate links to the products I use and recommend. I may receive a small commission on purchases made after following an affiliate link. See my full disclosure here.
I tried using Brasso to restore them, but they were too far gone and I lack patience. So, I turned to Centsational Girls tips on brass. For faking the look she recommend Krylon ShortCuts Gold Leaf spray paint. Within half an hour I was able to fake some awesome brass hardware.
To make the spray painting super easy I inserted the screws into the handles part way. Then, I stuck the screws in a piece of leftover packing styrofoam. This let me spray the handles from all angles. After the last coat, I flipped them over to put one coat on the back. They looked horrible before.
Isn’t the gold tone hardware incredible? I am totally in love. This dresser fits right in in my studio. It will be home to my ever-growing fabric stash.
I am still working on the dresser top decor, but I love it so far. The small aqua fan was a HomeGoods find. The color matches the dresser perfectly. The pretty blue ikat lamp shade was the inspiration for the blue focal wall on the other end of the room. Sadly, while it was in storage during the room renovation, the pretty glass cylinder base broke :(. I replaced it with the turquoise base on loan from my guest room.
The Heller Design jars were a recent thrift store find. The yellow one is holding all my Martha Stewart paint swatches. The white one is holding my adjustable stencils (another thrift store score).
I put together a few of the stencils for a little sign. “T&L” for teal and lime. I propped them on a cheap plate holder. I coated it with white chalk paint and then gave it a good sanding for a shabby chic look. Love these stencils!!!
Get a Free Copy of my book "Free Decorating"
"This book is so inspiring, I'm a self confessed "decor" addict, I buy anything I think "may" work only to take it home and be disappointed. After reading this book I can't wait to shop my own home and make more meaningful purchases." - Cori I.